Today we’ve got a really fun recipe for you – Japanese coffee jelly! This is a staple dessert in Japan which combines a jelly made with coffee and gelatine and sweetened milk. It’s sweet and refreshing, and it’s a perfect treat on hot days.
Here’s how to make Japanese coffee jelly:
- 560ml water
- 15g sugar
- 125g evaporated milk (if making vegan version, use coconut evaporated milk)
- 3 tbsp condensed milk (again, if making vegan version use coconut condensed milk)
- 1 tbsp unflavoured gelatine powder (vegan version uses 2 tsp agar)
- 2 cups brewed strong black coffee (here are our coffees currently available)
- Brew 2 cups of coffee using 500ml water. In a small bowl, combine the gelatine powder and the remaining 60ml of water.
- Place the brewed coffee and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a near boil over medium-high heat. (For a vegan version, place the coffee and sugar in the saucepan instead. You will also want to add the agar now as well.)
- Use a whisk to stir every few seconds, for around 2-3 minutes or until the sugar dissolves completely.
- Turn off the heat, and whisk in the gelatine mixture until it dissolves. (Disregard this step for vegan version.)
- Transfer into a shallow dish. Allow it to cool for 5-8 minutes or until room temperature. Place into the fridge and allow to chill until firm – this will take around 5 hours.
- Make the sweet milk by combining the evaporated milk with the condensed milk with a whisk and place in the fridge to chill.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the coffee jelly into cubes inside the dish. Scoop coffee cubes into cups and pour over the sweet milk. If you want an extra kick to your Japanese coffee jelly (and a pretty gradient), slowly add in 1 shot of chilled espresso. Enjoy!
If you use our Japanese coffee jelly recipe, tag us on social media and use #balancecoffeerecipes. And if you want to see what else to do with coffee, head to our recipes!
Enjoy this article? Sign up to our Balance Coffee Club newsletter below for monthly recipes, tips and hacks that’ll improve your coffee game!