If you’re looking for the perfect after-dinner drink, you’ve come to the right place. We show you how to make the best espresso martini recipe in the UK. The combination of high-quality vodka and delicious speciality coffee makes for a delectably smooth and rich espresso martini cocktail that you can make anytime of the week.
Master the recipe and you’ll be inviting your friends round to impress them with your new found espresso making skills. This recipe produces two espresso martini cocktails but you can just scale up the measurements as required.
Video Guide: How to make the best Espresso Martini at home:
What you’ll need:
- 100ml vodka (Absolute Vodka or Grey Goose) – preferably a vodka that’s very clean.
- 25ml of Baileys (Or similar Irish cream alternative)
- Double espressos x2 – we’ll share your options below.
- Coffee beans – to garnish (optional)
- 25ml simple syrup (if you like it sweeter)
- Ice Cubes
- Cocktail Shaker
- x2 Martini Glasses
- Spirit Measure (or scales as alternative)
How to make an espresso shot?
To make a top espresso martini, you’ll need a ‘proper’ espresso shot. By proper, we mean you’ll need to have an espresso machine that can produce enough pressure (9 bars to be precise) in order to create enough texture and body if you really want the maximum flavour. Take our word for it, if you’re looking to make to make the best espresso martini recipe in the uk then you’ll need to invest in the right home coffee equipment to achieve the end result. We have a range of affordable home coffee machines which you can buy online. Sage machines are perfect for beginners starting out.
How to make espresso without a machine?
There are some cheaper alternatives to making espresso without a machine however, they won’t have quite the same results. So here they are:
1) The Aeropress – check out our ultimate Aeropress Coffee Maker Guide
2) Moka Pot / Stove Top Recipe – How to make the perfect moka pot.
3) The Cafetiere – What the other recipes don’t tell you.
4) Here’s a cold brew recipe which works well in espresso martini’s.
*To get more of a concentrated ‘espresso-style’ punch from these brew methods above, we recommend using a medium to dark roasted coffee as well as adjusting the amount of coffee to water ratio. For example, you could make the Aeropress more concentrated by using 18g of medium-fine grind to just 60ml of water.
- Fill your martini glasses with ice to chill.
- Fill up your espresso martini cocktail shaker with ice
- Now brew the espresso and immediately pour over ice into the cocktail shaker (this prevents oxidation & enhances he naturally sweet flavours in coffee)
- Next, pour 100ml of vodka into the cocktail shaker. (If using optional simple syrup, add this too).
- Add our secret twist, the baileys shot and shake well.
- Empty the ice out of the martini glasses, and pour your delicious espresso martini concoction through the strainer into the glasses. Using the strainer will create a lovely creamy foam on top.
- Garnish with the coffee beans.*Making this with freshly roasted coffee will make all the difference to the flavour, so make sure you head to our shop to buy some coffee (beans or ground). We recommend trying more chocolate notes for best results.
Congrats! You’ve just made the best espresso martini in the UK.
If you managed to make this, we’d love to hear from you. You can share it with us on social media using #balancecoffeerecipes. We’ll make sure to re-post and share your version to the world.
Enjoy this article? Sign up to our Balance Coffee Club newsletter below for monthly recipes, tips and hacks that’ll improve your coffee game!