There’s something about holiday coffees that gets us into a merry Christmas mood. And although you might not be able to enjoy festive coffee drinks from coffee shops this year, you can still make delicious holiday-flavoured coffees at home. Here are just six of our favourite Christmas coffee recipes!
Orange spiced coffee
Full of citrus and sweet spices, this is the perfect after-dinner coffee.
- 4 tbsp ground coffee (a coffee with notes of citrus would do wonderfully in this particular drink. Head here to see what we currently have on offer)
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 2 pitted dates
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 2 cloves
- Orange zest
- Put the ground coffee, cinnamon stick and dates in a large cafetiere. Add the ground nutmeg, cloves and orange zest, then pour over 400ml freshly boiled water
- Stir gently with a wooden spoon to combine, then leave to steep for 4 mins. Slowly push down the plunger and serve
Feeling a little bit naughty? The eggnog latte is a rich and luxurious coffee that’ll be right up your street.
- 35ml espresso (not sure what espresso to try? We’ve got a fabulous espresso taster pack).
- 100ml milk, steamed and whisked until frothy
- 150ml eggnog or advocaat
- pinch each of nutmeg and ground cinnamon, to serve
- Pour the espresso into a large mug. Top with most of the frothy milk, then the eggnog or advocaat
- Stir, add the rest of the milk and sprinkle with the nutmeg and cinnamon to serve
Festive apple coffee
Add the delicious flavours of bonfire night into your coffee with this caramel apple coffee recipe!
- 40ml apple puree / paste
- 20ml caramel sauce
- 30ml espresso
- Pinch cinnamon
- 200ml milk, heated
- Whipped cream
- Measure the apple puree / paste, caramel sauce and cinnamon into a mug
- Prepare the espresso and pour it into the glass with hot milk.
- Top with whipped cream, caramel sauce and cinnamon.
Chocolate and peppermint is a classic combination – and for good reason! You can’t go wrong with this holiday classic.
- 225ml coffee
- 30g bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- Whipped cream
- Crushed candy canes
- In a saucepan add in all of your ingredients except the peppermint.
- Stir and bring the ingredients to a simmer. Simmer for 2 minutes.
- Take the saucepan off the heat, add the peppermint, pour into your mug.
- Decorate with freshly whipped cream and a sprinkles over some crushed candy canes.
Cafe amore cocktail
Finally, we had to include a couple of coffee cocktail recipes – because what’s the festive season without a delicious cocktail?!
- 30ml cognac
- 30ml amaretto
- 170ml black coffee
- Whipped cream
- Shaved almonds (optional)
- Pour the cognac and amaretto into an Irish coffee glass
- Pour the hot coffee and stir
- Top with whipped cream and garnish with the shaved almonds
Flat white Russian
We might have saved the best for last – our founder James is obsessed with this caffeinated version of a white Russian.
- 50ml Kahlúa
- 50ml vodka
- 50ml espresso
- Milk or a milk alternative
- Ice cubes
- Fill a glass with ice cubes, add Kahlúa, vodka and espresso
- Finish up with milk/milk alternative
Enjoy this article? Sign up to our Balance Coffee Club newsletter below for monthly recipes, tips and hacks that’ll improve your coffee game!