Our affogato recipe is deliciously simple:
it’s coffee, ice cream, and an optional topping. But if you use high-quality coffee, it’ll turn this quick dessert into an experience to be savoured and shared.
How to Make Affogato
The great thing about making an affogato has to be the pouring of the espresso over the ice cream once it’s been freshly brewed. The temperature of the hot espresso melting some of the ice cream producing a creamy velvety texture is just the perfect after dinner dessert. Inside this article we’ll cover the best ingredients to use to make sure you’re creating the best affogato recipe at home.
Italian Affogato Ingredients
- High-quality vanilla ice cream – we love the luxurious bourbon vanilla ice cream from Caroline’s Dairy
- Espresso (1 per person)
- Crushed amaretti biscuits, nut liqueur, grated dark chocolate (optional)
- Scoop the ice cream into dessert glasses or cups.
- Drown (the literal meaning of the word affogato) the ice cream with the freshly brewed shot of espresso. (If you don’t have an espresso machine, you can use an Aeropress to make an equivalent shot of coffee. Head here for the method!)
- Serve immediately whilst the ice cream starts to melt.
- For a less classic approach, we also love adding ingredients such as crushed amaretti biscuits, nut liqueur or grated dark chocolate. A hazelnut ice cream or gelato would also work well!
What coffee should I pair with my affogato?
This is a great question and one that certainly makes a huge difference to the end result. We recommend experimenting if you have the opportunity to do so.
First of all – think about what type of ice cream you’ll be using. If it’s something very sweet or contains additional sugar for example, caramel ice cream, then you’ll want to ensure the coffee you use isn’t too sweet. You might want to use a classic espresso roast like our Stability Blend which is a medium roast profile that has chocolate notes. This will ensure the flavours are being perfectly balanced (no pun intended ;)).
If you make this affogato recipe at home, please share it with us on social media using #balancecoffeerecipes.
Enjoy this article? Sign up to our Balance Coffee Club newsletter below for monthly recipes, tips and hacks that’ll improve your coffee game!