Our affogato recipe is deliciously simple: it’s coffee, ice cream, and an optional topping. But if you use high-quality coffee, it’ll turn this quick dessert into an experience to be savoured.
Italian Affogato Ingredients
- High-quality vanilla ice cream – we love the luxurious bourbon vanilla ice cream from Caroline’s Dairy
- Espresso (1 per person)
- Crushed amaretti biscuits, nut liqueur, grated dark chocolate (optional)
- Scoop the ice cream into dessert glasses or cups.
- Drown (the literal meaning of the word affogato) the ice cream with the freshly brewed shot of espresso. (If you don’t have an espresso machine, you can use an Aeropress to make an equivalent shot of coffee. Head here for the method!)
- Serve immediately whilst the ice cream starts to melt.
- For a less classic approach, we also love adding ingredients such as crushed amaretti biscuits, nut liqueur or grated dark chocolate. A hazelnut ice cream or gelato would also work well!
If you make this affogato recipe, share it with us on social media using #balancecoffeerecipes.
Enjoy this article? Sign up to our Balance Coffee Club newsletter below for monthly recipes, tips and hacks that’ll improve your coffee game!